An attempt to gather an Episcopal congregation in Troon in 1888 was abandoned after there was a poor response to services held in a hall in Portland Street, and it was in 1911 that mission work began from Ayr.
In January 1912 all Episcopalians in Troon were invited to a meeting to consider establishing an Episcopal Church in the town. The Duke of Portland offered a site for both a church and a rectory. With great enthusiasm a Building Committee was formed and plans submitted by Mr James A. Morris were approved. The nave would be built first and the chancel completed at a later date when funds permitted. The foundation stone was laid on 7 November 1912 and the nave was dedicated on 18 May 1913 but the outbreak of war in 1914 prevented the building of the chancel until 1920-21, by which time the church had been raised to incumbency status and the first Rector appointed.
The climax came on 20th September 1931 when the church of St. Ninian’s, Troon was consecrated by the Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway, The Right Revd. J.R. Darbyshire.
The church is now a ‘B’ listed building. It contains some very fine woodwork including examples of the Yorkshire carver Robert Thompson of Kilburn whose ‘signature’ is a carved mouse. There are ten mice at St Ninian’s with eight of them within the church.
Click here to download an illustrated leaflet about St Ninian’s, the church building and the history of our congregation (PDF, 550kb).